CY&BC IDRA14 Class - Boat Chartering and Training Initiative
Published 10:35 on 18 Jan 2018
The IDRA14 Class at Clontarf Yacht & Boat Club has launched an initiative to teach (new) sailors how to helm and crew these wonderful One Design dinghies and get involved in the IDRA14 Association racing calendar.
HOW WILL IT WORK?
- We are looking for four committed participants to join the training programme
- The programme will run for one full season
- The class have bought an IDRA14 dinghy and are preparing her for sail
- The boat will include some modifications which will make her easier to sail such as a reefed mail sail
- The costs to sail the boat in CY&BC for the season will be divided between the four members of the team
The costs are:
- Summer Storage €105.00 (divided by 4)
- Insurance for the Boat €90 (divided by 4)
- A contribution of €100, each for upkeep and breakages throughout the season (unused balance is refundable).
WHAT WILL THE PARTICIPANTS LEARN?
1. Learn to rig the IDRA14 and use all the controls, sheets and halyards
2. All participants will learn to both crew and helm
3. Race planning – starts, tactics and basic racing rules
4. Boat launching and recovering
5. Basic maintenance of the boat
The IDRA 14 class will commit to:
- Maintaining the boat and teaching the team to look after the IDRA14
- Sharing its knowledge and experience in all aspects of sailing the IDRA14
- Coach and support participants on and off the water
Crewing and helming other IDRA14s in the class:
At present there are three IDRA14s in CY&BC looking for crew. It is the class's intention to swap the participants of the programme between those IDRA14s and the training boat in order to give them the benefit of other experienced crews and helms at CY&BC, and further develop their skills, experience and confidence.
The team will sail every race in a combination of boats including the training boat with experienced helms, crew or both.
The Programme's objective is, by the season's end, participants will have had an enjoyable and rewarding season, and developed skills and confidence to race and sail an IDRA14.
Ideally the class would like to like participants continue in the class, and will help them find a crewing/helming position on other IDRA; or if participants wish to buy a boat of their own, advise and help then in this activity.
So what happens next?
Please email the class, let us know if you are interested in taking part.
One place is already taken up, but applications for remaining are open to all members at CYBC.
Point of contacts are:
Ronan Melling rmelling at crystalclean dot ie - 0872625433 and
Pat O'Kelly patokellyup at gmail dot com
We will then arrange to have a meeting for those who are interested to answer any questions you may have about the programme.
Last updated 17:31 on 9 February 2021